Sunday, December 19, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: The Grinch (my all-time best Christmas movie)

During this time of year, I try and spend as much time as I can with my god son. He's 7 and I usually just watch any cartoon with him, usually Ben 10. But this year, I noticed that on the TV stand they had a DVD of one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time! As in the story truly reminds me of Christmas is!

So in light of that, I am choosing to review one of the Modern Classics: "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" Now, I do realize that most of you know the story, but a good review should never assume anything.

The Grinch(Jim Carrey) has always loathed the Who’s of Whoville. His hatred is emphasized during the Christmas season, due to the Who’s hullabaloo, false emotions, and careless acquisitiveness. But one small Who, Cindy Lou Who, wants to rise above the materialistic traditions of her fellow Who’s. She chooses to reach out to the odious Grinch, in an attempt to prove to, not only the Who’s, but the Grinch himself, that Christmas isn’t about the tangible items. When he is publicly humiliated, the Grinch hatches a grand scheme to “steal Christmas” from the Who’s.

I absolutely love this story, and it is one of my favorite Christmas movies(my favorite being “A Christmas Carol”). I first saw the 1966 TV Special, which is narrated by Boris Karloff, when I was quite young, 6 or 7, I believe. I’ve just got to say that what a great message this sends kids. I wish more children were exposed to this film, because it feels as if none are. This movie keeps that message true, but adds a bit of substance to it. One such addition would be the inclusion of the denizens of Whoville. Not only does it add these characters, but the characters are developed, without overemphasizing them. Which is great, because the core of this movie should, and does, center on Whoville(as a whole), the Grinch, and, of course, Cindy Lou Who.  

Whoville looks a bit like it was created by Tim Burton, who was considered for the job of Director. The set is created to give it that special fantasy feel, which it easily accomplishes. Every thing in Whoville looks as if it was literally ripped from the page of Dr. Seuss’s classic Christmas tale. Even the cash registers seem to belong in a colorful cartoon. Definitely one of the best interpretations from any “Book to Movie” film. 

Jim Carrey, everybody’s favorite living cartoon(at the time), is tasked with the job of portraying our miserable grump, the Grinch. Very few people know that we almost had to tolerate Eddie Murphy in this role. Ugh, How terrible would that have been? Anyways, Jim Carrey, in my opinion, was the obvious choice. This was done at a time when Mr. Carrey was just starting to venture out into more serious roles, so I view this as his last, real, “Cartoon Character” like role. Jim Carrey’s voice is great, and not to mention his facial expressions are, as always, hilarious. And major props to Jim for suffering through the pain of those yellow, full-eye, contacts. Jim Carrey is an actor who is always willing to suffer for the art.


Cindy Lou Who, who I feel is the most important part of the story, is played by the precious actress, Taylor Momsen. While not her screen debut, it is her second film. Most people would say that any young actress could have played this role. But not many had the combination of cuteness and talent that the lovely Ms. Momsen posses. She portrayed that amazing child-like curiosity and wonderment that was needed to make this character believable in Hollywood. Fun fact, she is now in Gossip Girl. All grown up! I don't know who her character is because I've never watched the show but my god, how time flies!




But, this film definitely wouldn’t have been as successful if it weren’t for Ron Howard, the Director of this moving picture show. Ron Howard is, easily, one of the best Directors to ever sit behind the camera. He’s not afraid to take chances, and usually delivers a solid product. Just one of the greatest minds in film, ever. Not to mention, he saved us from the abomination that would have been delivered if Tim Burton(who was considered) had taken the Director’s position.

Christmas isn't about how many presents you get, or the cost of said presents, which is what this film expertly conveys. Objects and money will never compare to the love and affection you receive from family and friends. This move is more important now than it has ever been. 

So Merry Christmas everyone! And let us spread the gift of love with each other!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! This little girl was adorable. I am again planning to add this movie to the watch list. I am making a list for my kids because their vacation is about to start and I don’t want them to get bored. I have also found some nice series by Andy Yeatman on Netflix for them.

    ReplyDelete